We have some of the best waterparks in Texas. Due to the hot Texas summers, many of the outdoor waterparks remain open through September. But don’t worry if you get the itch to get wet, wild, and crazy after the calendar turns to October! Texas is home to three amazing indoor waterparks as well!
Having two younger boys and parents that are just as young at heart, this family loves a good waterpark. We have visited both indoor and outdoor waterparks over the years, so we can definitely speak to what is good and what doesn’t make the grade.
In this write-up, we will list the eight best waterparks across the great state of Texas. So get your bathing suits or swim trunks ready, because there is always a great time to get wet, regardless of the time of year!
- Epic Waters (Grand Prairie, TX)- Epic Waters is unique in that it is actually both indoor AND outdoor! This waterpark has the luxury of a retractable roof, allowing it to remain open all year round. Epic Waters features eight attractions for bigger kids and adults, a standard swimming pool, and a lazy river for all. For the smaller guests, Epic Waters has Rascal’s Roundup that has several features perfect for younger kids (but still a ton of fun!). Epic Waters also offers cabana rentals and has on-site dining options.
- Great Wolf Lodge (Grapevine, TX)- The second indoor waterpark, Great Wolf Lodge is a combined resort and waterpark. Booking a stay at Great Wolf Lodge includes waterpark admission for all guests. Day passes for non-hotel guests are available on a first come, first serve basis. For hotel guests, Great Wolf Lodge also has an arcade, MagicQuest, a ropes course, and more. The waterpark has 15 different attractions. They have rides for the littles and of course they have rides for the thrill seekers in your group as well. Private cabanas can be rented. Five on-site dining options are available, plus a bar and a Starbucks.
- Kalahari (Round Rock, TX)- We have personally been to this location and it was fantastic. Kalahari is a combined resort, indoor waterpark, and outdoor waterpark. There is also bowling, a massive arcade, rock climbing walls, and more. This place is massive. Waterpark admission is included with resort stay. LIMITED day passes are available for those that don’t want to stay at the resort. They offer several levels of private cabanas. There is a concession stand with pizza, burgers and such within the water park itself. Outside the water park, there are 10+ options for food and drink. There is something for everyone. Let’s talk rides…there are over TWENTY of them! Most of the rides are for older kids/adults, but there is still plenty to do for the littles.
- Hawaiian Falls (Multiple locations around North Texas and Waco)- We’ve been to the Mansfield location and it was great. Clean, well run, and a good value. If you live in North Texas, I would recommend the Season Pass. It gives you access to the Mansfield, Roanoke, and Waco locations. While mostly similar, there are differences, so having access to all three gives access to over 60 attractions. The season pass gives other perks such as early entry and discounted drinks. Most locations also have special events throughout the year. The Mansfield location had a great 4th of July deal this year.
- Schlitterbahn (Galveston and New Braunfels)- Many consider Schlitterbahn to be the original waterpark. The New Braunfels location opened back in 1979. Schlitterbahn sits on 70 acres and offers over FIFTY attractions, cabana rentals, dining, and shopping. Lodging is available and day passes can be purchased for those not staying at the resort. You can spend an entire weekend here and still crave more!
- Typhoon Texas– (Katy, TX)- The first waterpark on this list for the Houston area. Typhoon Texas opened in 2016 and has seen lines of excited revelers since. Similar in concept to Hawaiian Falls, they offer a Season Pass that gives pass holders access to the Austin, TX location also. Like most, they offer a variety of private cabanas. Cabana rentals have deep discounts when rented on weekdays! There are several options for food and beverage…check out their Texas sized hand made funnel cakes!
- Wet’n’Wild Water World (El Paso, TX)- It’s like an oasis in the West Texas Desert! Water World features 25 attractions for all ages and sizes. Cabanas are available to rent to keep you out of the Texas sun. The on-site cafe has the standard burgers, chicken sandwich, and hot dogs. They often have concerts or other events. They even allow you to bring your own propane grill or you can rent one of theirs!
- Castaway Cove (Wichita Falls, TX)- We haven’t forgotten about you Wichita Falls! Castaway Cove is home to Pirate’s Plunge, the only water slide of its kind in Texas. This water slide has you accelerating up to 40MPH before throwing you through a 360 degree loop! This ride is INTENSE! There are 6 other attractions to keep you entertained. The Castaway Cafe will keep you full with burgers, dogs, burritos, chicken fingers, nachos and more!
So When Are You Going?
There are great waterparks throughout the state of Texas. Regardless of where you live in the state (or even Oklahoma or Louisiana), there will be a great waterpark close to you. Even better, Texas has three great options that are open all year long due to being indoors. Plan your trip today! If you are taking a trip to visit one of these great waterparks, check out the great lodging rates below!